Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Obsessive But Not Compulsive

Those of you who know me may or may no know about the near obsessive research I do before any mid to large purchase is made. It usually starts with an interest of some kind. Mountain Biking for instance. While I am not the most skilled or in shape rider in the world and haven't ridden in a while I love the sport. I tried a few yeas ago to get into mountain biking with a bike I purchased from a department store but had little success. It was Pacific Vortex that weighed approximately 800 lbs with automatic locking brakes. After a couple of attempts at the trails of Oak Mountain State Park, I gave up on the bike. I decided I needed a newer, lighter and more quality bike. I began my internet research. Compiling information on bikes and parts. I soon developed an Excel spreadsheet to compare the items, but realized I just couldn't afford it at the time. About a year ago Tom [Bloggin Awesome over --> way] expressed some interest in mountain biking as well and the obsessive research began once again. In the end I purchased a Gary Fisher Tassajara from Cahaba Cycle and love it. Now I just need to ride it but that's another post for another day.

This type of obsessive research happens pretty often I'll admit. However it has resulted in some fine purchases that I have no regrets in making. My Spyder Xtra paintball marker, Gregory Lassen backpack, North Face Tadpole 23 tent and my latest purchase the Dell e1505 laptop I am currently using have all resulted from such research. I even have spreadsheets for wish list items that will probably never be purchased, such as performance upgrades for my wife Mini Cooper and parts for my 4runner to transform it into an unstoppable Hummer assassin.

My latest obsessions include the new Toyota FJ Cruiser, A/V equipment for my future home theater, ultralight camping items and photography equipment. The one issue of course is that all of these things cost money. Now if I only had a money generating spreadsheet. Maybe Quick-Star.....

No comments: